Friday, March 21, 2008

Penitensya 2008: A Fulfillment


I've been doing this since i was a kid. my dad would carry me and we would wait in front of our chapel for the service jeepney or truck to arrive. but im not a kid anymore. this year, i joined the alay lakad to antipolo without my parents, (they're growing old too, you know :p), so i went with my sister instead. we had no plans of going, it just came to us all of a sudden.

Isay: tara nood na tayo senakulo.
Me: *pms anna in ym and turned the PC off.*
teka, Antipolo na lang tayo.
Isay: Eh wala na yung service, anung oras na kaya.
Me: Commute.
Isay: tara.

A shirt and a towel for each of us and we're off. it took us about 30 mins waiting for a jeep routing to antipolo and lucky enough that it was not full yet. we got stucked by the traffic caused by hundreds of people walking their way to antipolo, but still made it in time to the church.

i saw the cross, leaning the walls of our lady of peace school and eventually saw some friends waving their hands at me, welcoming me, for this year's "panata." we waited for other groups to arrive for an hour.and when they finally arrived, everyone was ready to leave.



kuya adjo was the first to give instructions of our exit. they lifted the cross and we lined up and held the rope tied in it. people around the church all gave a glance on us, and gave way for the cross, while others went their way to touch it. i started to feel the tension.

we managed to get through the pile of people. and the first person started to carry the cross. it was kudya adjo. the "Judas" group prepared their home-made rubber latigo. he then received the first "palo". we had our first stop at tikling. we rested for 10 mins, and i had the chance to ask kuya adjo, if i could carry the cross. he didnt answer.i thought he did not agree, but upon arriving at de castro st, he called me. "sa floodway ka."

i was surprised. i called my sister to carry my bag. i told her that im going to carry the cross. and she was stunned, too. "kaya mo?",she asked. and i answered her with a smile.

i walked behind the cross. i didnt know the guy who was carrying the cross then. but i was seeing my father, and my uncles. they used to carry that same cross. i was still a kid then. i did not know what the purpose of doing such things. the cross seems heavy, and a bunch of "bad guys" will hit your back and hands with that latigo.

and it was my turn. i was back to seeing the guy who is now checking his back that is almost swelling. i made a sign of the cross before finally lifting the cross. it was heavier than i thought. as soon as i started walking, they started to hit my back. but they were using a shirt instead of the latigo. still, every hit hurts. i was perspiring, and my arms and shoulders are starting to feel weak. i carried the cross across the bridge from life homes to its end. it was kindda stiff, and that made it more difficult to carry the cross. i vowed my head down while walking, and silently started to pray. this cross, how many shoulders have carried it? how many wishes and confessions have it granted and heard? dad used to carry it, i wonder what words had he whispered to this cross. did we have the same intentions in carrying it? or am i just continuing what he had started?


my praying was interrupted by a hit, this time, it was a latigo. it landed on my nape, which made me feel dizzy and made my breathing stop for a moment. i stopped walking, and pulled the rope to signal kuya adjo to stop. i saw my sister, i can tell that she was worried. i went to the other side of the cross to carry it again, this time using my left shoulders. i can now see the end of the bridge, so i started lifting the cross again. my back is still receiving a number of hits. and my sister started to beg them to stop. but i refused. it was part of the sacrifice, and i am willing to accept them.



we finally reached the bridge's end. but i know that my sacrifice wont end there. i promised myself that i will be doing this again for the next coming years. i know some of the readers would think that this is insane. i dont care.but miracles happen to those who believe.

during the last years of my alay lakad experience, eveytime i got home, all i know is that im tired, exhausted and hungry. but, after today's penitensya, i was tired, exhausted, hungry, and fulfilled. :)
 

~ Sokutatsu ~ Free Blogspot Templates Designed by productive dreams for smashing magazine | | Free Wordpress Templates. Cell Numbers Phone Tracking, Lyrics Song Chords © 2009